Linux on the Psion 5MX/5MX-PRO HOWTO
This HOWTO is now deprecated. The new 5MX HOWTO is
It is a translation of this howto into a more portable format, and it is undergoing
revision and update. A PDF of the HOWTO is available there.
Please update your bookmarks and links accordingly.
Last modified 9 February 2003
(Updates to X installation procedures, X applications, minor html fixes,
This document contains brief instructions on how to get a Psion 5MX or 5MX
PRO to boot into the Linux operating system and subsequent system configuration
issues. This document is fairly new and will probably continue to undergo
(c) 1997-2002 The PsiLinux Project. All rights reserved.
- 3.1 What Works, Generally
- 3.2 Psion Series 5MX Specifications
- 3.3 A PsiLinux Screenshot
- 6.1 Serial Ports, Minicom, and Comms
- 6.2 PLP Tools
- 6.3 Partitioning the Compactflash using initrd
- 6.4 Partitioning, Formatting, and Copying to Compactflash using a Desktop Computer
- 6.5 Using RSH/RCP and PPP Between the Desktop and PsiLinux
- 8.1 Installing ARLO
- 8.2 Getting a Kernel
- 8.3 Getting the Kernel Booted from EPOC
- 8.4 Autobooting ARLO from Reset
- 8.5 How Do I Get Back to EPOC?
- 9.1 Mounting /proc and Compactflash Partitions
- 9.2 The Keyboard and Setting Keys
- 9.3 Setting the Font
- 9.4 Setting Framebuffer Depth
- 9.5 Pointers and Things that Work
- 9.6 Serial Connections: Wire and Infrared
- 9.7 Setting up PPP
- 9.8 /etc Adjustments
- 9.9 Keeping Time between Reboots
- 9.10 Installing New Packages
- 9.11 Sound Support
- 11.1 An X11/Blackbox Window Manager on PsiLinux Screenshot!
- 11.2 Prerequisites
- 11.3 Packages to Install
- 11.4 Configuring the Blackbox Window Manager
Screen shots of WindowMaker and IceWM window managers.
- 11.5 Mouse Issues
- 11.6 Memory Issues
- 11.7 Keyboard Issues
- 11.8 Useful X applications
- 12.1 Prerequisites
- 12.1 The Cross Compilation Environment
- 12.2 Compiling a Kernel
- 13.1 Please see the
on the main PsiLinux page.
- 13.2 Q: Which Psion 5MX model do I need (5MX, 5MX-PRO (24MB), 5MX-PRO
- 13.3 Q: How come after PsiLinux boots up the text is faded so as to be
- 13.4 Q: My disk gives errors when my psion wakes up from sleep mode, or
- 13.5 Q: Can I have a dual boot system (EPOC and linux)?
- 13.6 Q: How come when I turn my psion off for the night, it turns itself back on again?
- 14.1 The PsiLinux Website
- 14.2 Plp Tools
- 14.3 ARLO
- 14.4 Precompiled Kernels
- 14.5 Initial Ramdisks (initrd's)
- 14.6 The Mail List
- 14.7 The Psion PDA Graveyard (sob.)